|A view from bell Water Gate across the Thames.
The James Newman is at the North terminal disembarking. The water gate
was named after the 'Bell Tavern' which stood at the corner and was an
inn of some antiquity.
Photograph. John King
|A closer view of the James Newman, behind
can be seen buses waiting at the North Woolwich terminal. The small domed
building is the northern entrance to the foot tunnel opened in 1912. The
once animated cranes of the Royal Docks have since gone, the docks are
now downstream at Tilbury. Goods are then brought into London by road,
while the river is almost empty.
Photograph. John King.