Woolwich Foot Tunnel

Woolwich Foot Tunnel
Photo John King
Woolwich foot tunnel opened in 1912 under the Thames where the Ferry crosses the river. The only way to cross the river by foot if the Ferry isn't running. Photo taken August 1967, but could be at almost any time. About the only thing that has changed since then is the lighting, which has been updated.

Oppening of Woolwich foot tunnel 1912

Opening of Woolwich Foot Tunnel 1912.
Photo courtesy Chris, Ready Snacks Cafe. See link below for more on the ferry and old poscards of Woolwich.

An up to date photograph of the tunnel. Not much has changed just the lighting, which is the white florescent type. 1 August 2006.
Photograph. John King.

to home page